Web analytics best practices
Some best practices to keep in mind related to this field. Utilise these tactics to maximise the growth of your business.
Here they are:
- Encourage a data-driven environment for decision making. After collecting the relevant data to answer whether you have met (or fail to meet) your goals, find out what you can do to improve your KPIs. Are there high-value content (based on user feedback to the website) that is not getting any traffic? Leverage the experimentation & testing tools to try out different solutions and find the best placement that generates the most engagement for that page.
- Get to the bottom of it. Reporting about visits, pageviews, top sources, or top pages only skims the surface. Large numbers can be misleading; just because there is more traffic or time spent on site doesn’t mean that there is success. Always ask yourself why.
- Provide insights with the data. Make the data relevant and meaningful by demonstrating how the website data shows areas of success and of improvement on your site.
- Don’t focus on visits and bounce rates only. Capture the richer and more complex web experiences that are happening online. Pan-session metrics, such as visitors, user-lifetime value, and other values that provide longer-term understanding of people and users, allow you to evaluate how your website has been doing as it matures and as it interacts with visitors, especially the returning ones.
- Communicate clearly with clients. Be consistent in the information you provide, know your audience, and know the weaknesses of your system and disclose them honestly.
Based on www.usability.gov
Get you digital sh*t together